On Saturday, I spent the day in Hyde Park, covering the Women’s Elite Triathlon event before heading off to a barbecue. After a settling in for the evening at home, I got a text from my picture editor telling me of trouble in Tottenham. As it’s only down the road from where I live, I jumped in the car and wandered over there, expecting a few fisticuffs and swearing before it fizzled out. I was wrong. After four consecutive nights of violence and looting on a level unseen before in London, it seems as though the city may finally be starting to move into a state of healing.

Arriving in Tottenham, I walked into a scene of chaos as riot police held a group of people in an area on the main street from both ends while blocking people from entering from the non-enclosed side. Groups were gathering outside the cordon trying to get in and soon realised that they could easily walk down some of the many alleyways and find themselves right in the centre. As I moved around, I saw a camera crew working in the outer area and introduced myself. After checking who I was, they warned me that they’d just seen the first photographer mugging with the guy losing his gear before being beaten up. Thankfully, I’d anticipated this and was carrying a very stripped kit, hidden under my jacket.

After following the camera crew down one of the alleys to enter the central area, a group gathered and started to egg each other on with cries of “The media are targets too!”. I checked with the crew and decided to get out of there so I could find another way in. After trying and failing, I headed back to the same spot and walked in alone. As I got to the main area, the police helicopter searchlight lit the street and I saw exactly how bad it was already looking; the burnt-out remains of two police cars lay in the road while a nearby shop was collapsing in on itself as it burned. Within a few minutes of arriving, the police charged and I hid behind a phone box until they’d passed then switched to the other side as the area was pelted with rocks and bottles.

As I’ve often found in these situations, the riot police were exceptionally helpful to the media allowing myself and the other three or four who’d got through to work with impunity as long as we stayed clear of their front line. With so much pressure on and possible danger, it’s amazing that more don’t snap at the press but all was fine for a good ten minutes, allowing us to shoot the events as they unfolded. As the barrage of incoming missiles grew and a double decker London bus was set on fire, the police needed more room so asked us to move further back and I decided to head out. Just as I was reaching the police line to exit the cordon, I glanced back and saw a woman walking through the rocks and debris with two terrified children. Knowing that deadlines were fast approaching, I dashed back to my car, edited the stills and video and pushed them through to Washington for validation.

Returning to the area the next morning, I discovered just how badly the night had ended. Getty photographer Matt Lloyd had left the scene at the same time as me to edit, but then returned without any professional equipment due to the danger to photographers and shot the events on his iPhone 4. After being pushed from the main area by the police, the rioters had gone on to devastate the area. Driving down to Bruce Grove station was like entering a war zone.

The road leading down to the station was half blocked by burning bins and kids on mountain bikes zig-zagged across the street. As I parked my car and walked around the corner, I got to see the remains of what had, up to the previous day, been a busy bustling high street. Firefighters were still damping down the remains of a pub as police officers stood guard around an ATM that had been ripped from the wall and emptied. The few emergency vehicles that were moving around were slowly cruising as they crunched over the bricks, rocks and bottles that covered the road. The double decker bus that had blazed so brightly the previous night was now so reduced that I had to explain to another photographer what it was that he was looking at. Further down the street, a massive carpet warehouse had been torched, destroying all of the apartments of those living above.

The ground was covered in looted mobile phone packaging and blue plastic cases from the jewellery taken from the now-destroyed store next to the smouldering pub. Travelling a little down the road with Reuters photographer Luke MacGregor, we came across the local retail park where looters had run amok for hours on end, with no police intervention due to the escalation of arson and violence just around the corner. Massive electronics, computer, mobile phone and home goods superstores had been totally stripped. Speaking to one of the security guards who was standing next to some of the plasma televisions recovered from the car park, he told me that the looters had clearly been professional thieves as, on entering the buildings, they’d headed straight to the security offices where they disabled the cameras and removed all recordings.

Realising how serious it had been, it soon became clear that this was likely to happen again, I went home to get some rest ahead of the evening and any possible repeat.

By 6pm, word was beginning to spread that the looting looked likely to spread to nearby Enfield. Heading up there, I again stripped my gear down to the bare minimum of a single D3s body with one 50mm f1.4G lens and one 28-300mm f3.5-f5.6G “lazyboy” lens. On arriving, it was clear that there was likely to be trouble as small groups of teenagers wearing hoods, masks and balaclavas roamed through the parks and side streets around the town’s retail centre. Not wanting to risk my car, I parked outside the centre and walked in. I’d only been walking two minutes when a large group appeared around the corner of a side street and came walking towards me. My hope that they were peaceful didn’t last long as one of them punched his fist through a pub window as he walked. A bottle landed near my feet as I crossed the road and turned the corner. Thankfully, I walked straight into a line of riot police in full gear but the fact that the group was walking around freely smashing windows only metres away from the police front-line set the mood for how the evening would go.

After the previous night’s foray into no-man’s land, I decided to start out near to the police lines. Like the night before, one of the riot police broke away from the line to come and check on my safety wear before advising me that if I was injured at any point, to shout “Man down!” to alert the medic as the police line would be looking forward. After minor scuffles, the main group broke away from the front line and seemed to disappear. After checking out a smashed-up police car, I joined forces with Getty’s Peter Macdiarmid to try and track down the action by car. Reports soon started to come in that large groups were hitting a nearby retail park, so we headed over to find the police protecting two large electrical stores as a gang smashed in the front windows of a supermarket opposite. Within moments, the police raced over there and the group dispersed. This went on to be the pattern of the night; reports on twitter would speak of an incident, we’d race over to the location to find that the police had intercepted the same messages and had secured the area. A long night of frustration as we chased our tails around Enfield.

Day three of the riots was when things truly became unbelievable. Starting in Hackney, I arrived to find cars burning and riot police desperately protecting small sections of the main thoroughfare, Mare Street. With police helicopters swooping dangerously low, the action soon moved to a nearby housing estate. Again, more cars were burned and rioters charged before riot police counter-charged.

After seeming to secure the area, myself and a group of other photographers sat down in a shop doorway to wire only to suddenly discover that the police were pulling out. Looking up the road, we were suddenly faced with the same group that had, until moments before, been held back by a large group of riot police as they walked down the street to our position. One very fast exit later and I was in freelance AFP photographer Ki Price‘s studio a mile down the road. After a hasty recharge of batteries, I headed off to South London with photographer Jules Mattsson to check out reports of looting in Clapham Junction.

It’s hard to explain how unreal this whole experience was by now. If you’re outside the London or the UK and in an area untouched by these riots, just imagine your local high street being totally torn apart by looting and violence with the police nowhere to be seen. My picture editor was told to collect his child early from nursery as they wanted to close early. I was driving between every flashpoint using every bit of the small amount of hazardous environment training I know, making sure to keep distance between myself and other vehicles at all times for fast getaways and braking early at lights so that I never reached total standstill. A colleague of mine was surrounded in his car at one point with youths in balaclavas and masks grabbing at the door handles and when he raced down the road, he saw that they’d been setting up roadblocks at the junction so that they could stop every car to burn them. Truly insane and often terrifying.

Arriving in Clapham Junction was one of these moments. Kirsten used to live here so I know the area reasonably well, but turning onto the main road we found ourselves looking down a long open road, littered with debris as youths in hoods loitered on both sides. I seem to remember that I did actually whistle the opening bars to the theme from “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly” at this point. After some evasive driving when passing through the centre including a very fast getaway through a large group in the middle of the road, we parked up and walked down to the main shopping area. I’ve written this too many times already so far in this blog, but by this point I was running out of ways to comprehend what I was seeing. The same road that Kirsten and I had shopped in and enjoyed lazy Sunday breakfasts on was destroyed. A smashed plasma screen was lying in the middle of road and everywhere people milled around looking in the remains of the shop windows at the total chaos. While the police battled a large group of rioters and looters a few hundred metres down the road, two remained on guard outside a branch of Currys electrical store to protect both the stock and the injured man that they had discovered on entering the premises. He was later taken away in handcuffs.

It was clear that we’d arrived too late to record the looting, but Sun photographer Lee Thompson and AP photographer Simon Dawson had seen it all and were clearly shocked. Heading back to Lee and Simon’s apartment to wire our pictures, we’d just about reached the door when we heard that it had kicked off again and the looters had set fire to a shop and apartments on the main junction. Racing back we caught the fire crews tackling the blaze before more rumours came through of a blaze at a nearby cinema. You can hopefully get the idea of how frantic this was all getting. If we were at the major news story of the night, this kind of action would have been insane enough but to consider that a few miles down the road, absolutely massive fires and riots were tearing Croydon apart, while similar smaller flashpoints were occurring all over the capital was truly shocking. We head back for a recharge and an edit session and discussed where to head next.

Leaving Lee and Simon in Brixton, Jules and myself headed back up north to Waltham Abbey where reports were coming in of a huge fire at the Sony distribution centre. Forty five minutes later, we arrived and managed to gain entry to the cordoned area to see the fire crews as they continued to tackle the blaze. One fireman there admitted that the heat was so great that the spray was turning to steam before it even hit the building due to the sheer volume of flammable plastics and media in storage. By now it was 6am and the end of another very long night.

The fourth night arrived and the whole of London held its breath as it waited to see what would happen. With the weather forecasts predicting fair weather, there was no reason that the crime and violence of previous evenings would not continue. Joining forces tonight with Matt Cetti-Roberts, we monitored the news, the local radio stations, Twitter and other photographers to see where the action was occurring. Unlike previous nights, it seemed that the violence had begun to move on from London. While other cities such as Manchester, Birmingham and Liverpool were about to face their first evenings of riots, the capital seemed to reach its first point of near-calm in days. With the police flooding the streets with 16,000 officers on shift, and groups of vigilantes and “protection groups” patrolling their neighbourhoods, we watched and waited to see if the peace would hold. Sporadic reports of looting came in and Twitter was alive with gossip and rumour but knowing how to sift through the lies and speculation has become quite a well-worn skill. With five photographers on shift for AFP, we ended up with very little to cover. Following the community angle, Matt and I headed up to Enfield to see if we could find the group that were said to be patrolling the neighbourhoods. After half an hour we came across the main group and started to walk with them. While it contained people of all races, the vast majority were white and in a very heated mood. We walked with them for an hour or so, the mood was mainly one of bravado and community strength, but I can’t deny that I saw some disturbing outbursts. During our time with them, the group at one point targeted a young black man who was walking alone. While some were wanting to injure him, it was good to see that there were also many who were shouting for them to leave him alone as he was only one man against four hundred.

Moving on from this, we headed down to Southall in South London to find one of the Sikh temples that was reportedly being guarded by members of the local community. Arriving at the Sri Guru Singh Sabha temple, it can’t be denied that the vibe was entirely different. While Enfield had opted for a marching show of force with cars honking their horns and the police on hand to break up any signs of violence, Southall’s residents had chosen to remain in position outside their temples, sending out motorcycle patrols around the area to report back on movement of the hooded gangs that were seen in the outer streets. The police were showing trust in the group’s peaceful means and were happy to leave them to it. A cup of tea and a chat with one of the spokesmen proved a much needed return to normality after such a hard few days.

On Tuesday night, I tweeted that despite the fact that I have so far avoided conflict photography due to responsibilities to my family, I found myself using evasive driving to avoid masked gangs who were out to torch cars on the streets of my home city. I truly hope that in years to come, Max will be as shocked as we all are today at what happened and that this will remain one of the most bizarre and unique periods in UK history.

* * * * * *

I should point out here that there are also some incredible examples of the work by friends and colleagues over the last few days available to see elsewhere online. As ever, the Boston Globe’s “Big Picture” site has put together a strong collection of images from the first two nights. My favourite set of images has to be by PA photographer Lewis Whyld who has put together a slideshow here. He managed to be at all the right places at the right times through a combination of all the usual factors, and has come away with a strong collection of work. Nice one, bud.

* * * * * *

While there are many stories of loss that have come from these nights of violence, one that has caught the attention more than others is the case of Aaron Biber, the 89 year old barber who lost his store to looters. An online collection was set up here and has, at the time of writing, raised Β£25,000+ to help rebuild his livelihood.


38 Responses to “London riots, August 2011”

  1. I thought you’d been quiet for the last few days and figured you be up in the thick of things. Truly scary stuff, well recorded in a chaotic atmosphere. Glad you didn’t come to any harm.

    Posted by Andy
  2. Oh my word. To say these photos are incredible would be an understatement. I don’t know how you do it – taking such great photos is one thing but putting yourself out there in such a hostile environment in the first place is a massive part of the awe-inspiring talent you have. Loved reading your first person view of events too. Exceptional.

    Posted by Adam Johnson
  3. A truly amazing set of images Leon. I can’t imagine what it must have been like to put yourself in harms way to get the shots you did.

    Even more so, I can’t imagine what it must have been like for the Police having to put themselves between society and the looters. Thanks for being there and capturing it for us.

    Posted by Chris
  4. Just incredibly inspiring (from a photography point of view!) and captivating reading… what a great document of events. I’m really interested to know – the geek that I am! – how you edit/send the images when time is of the essence? Do you do all editing in-camera, I can’t imagine there’s a great deal of time to get the laptop out?
    Thank you for taking the time to write the blog, fascinating stuff, you should win awards!

    Posted by Ben
  5. You have done it again mate…. thank you for these they are awesome. Im still not sure if you are brave or nuts;)

    Posted by Lee Allen
  6. Hi Leon. I just feel compelled to post and say thank you for this blog. I view and admire your work on here often but this one comes much closer to home – those Tottenham streets are my local streets and its confusing and surreal to see these kinds of shots and immediately be taken on location by them. Brings a tear to the eye, actually (I never would have thought, before the weekend, that I’d claim any kind of emotional connection to Tottenham). One of the frustrating things about last Saturday night when I finally got dragged out of bed by the incessant buzzing of the police helicopter was seeing the glow of fires that were obviously so close, flames licking up over the top of nearby buildings, packs of kids roaming past the end of the street, but feeling so removed from what was actually going on. Your amazingly insightful work here has at least retrospectively filled in some of the gaps. Commendable coverage at an expectedly high standard. Thanks.

    Posted by James
  7. Great stuff Leon, thanks so much for sharing in this form. As a photographer, at a much lower level, it amazes me how the top guys such as yourself and Peter Macdiarmid even get in a position to capture events such as these. Closest I got was Enfield on Tuesday – very ugly atmoshphere.

    Posted by Chris
  8. Hi Leon

    I love the picture of the old bloke photographing the burnt out bus. In the background there is a shop called Tottenham Jerk. Looks to me like there were lots of Jerks out there. Great photo set again. Well done. Glad you were safe.

    Posted by Craig Shepheard
  9. Wow, this is a great blog post – really informative and such amazing photographs, really brave of you. I just can’t believe that people would do this to their own city. Such a shame.

    Posted by Alex
  10. Incredible!!! The photo of the woman with the two children literally made me cry, my two are around the same age as hers and I cannot imagine how scared she must have been. Loving the dark humour of the “game on” and “great laptop giveaway”. Bravo, see this is what I waiting for, hence my tweet yesterday!

    Posted by Debbie
  11. Why didn’t the police shoot the looters? Especially the ones attacking the police. That would have shut it down quickly for the price of a bullet and a 6 foot hole.
    Why let this trash live and watch them destroy the area. They are all criminals and should have been shot like rabid dogs.

    Posted by David
  12. I amazing set of images that capture these terrible events from a truley human aspect.Compostion is stunning as is the gallows humour.Never seen work as good as this.Totally breath taking and disturbing in equel measures. Thank you for your bravery and emence talent.

    Posted by Darren Aston
  13. Anyone who was out on the streets doing any kind of job, faced with such mindless violence deserves so much respect. The images are unbelievable, deeply shocking and just so sad but they completely capture the reality almost more so than all the live footage that I felt compelled to watch. I just hope you are never able to take images like this again :)

    Posted by Catherine
  14. Thanks Leon for a thought-provoking post and hard-hitting set of images that have helped us to understand the scale of the madness that you experienced. I’m so happy that you were not hurt physically and hope that your loving family can help you to come to terms with what you saw.

    Posted by Funmi & Adrian Omotade-Tan
  15. I spotted some of your pics after the first night and was hoping you were ok out there. Great blog, amazing pictures of course but just as interesting to get a sense of what it was like out there.

    Posted by Cali
  16. would you want your hair cut by an 89 year old man? (This question is not for Leon)!
    he should rename the barbers Just In Biber – he’d get a younger clientele! :)

    Amazing work my man – let me know when your book is coming out or your exhibition opens…

    We live in a sad world where the only thing that links those at the top and those at the bottom is pure greed.

    Posted by paul k
  17. A truly amazing insight into the horror that was those few nights of riots. Through your camera lens you allowed us to see the brutality, the braveness that were the emergency services and the raw feelings on peoples faces. The Sony sign photo was pretty haunting, it made me think that even the most modern of technology could not stop the age old way of of razing something very quickly to the ground. These are award winning photos Leon.

    Posted by ElaineS
  18. Incredible pictures and great insight once again mate into how the pictures that make it to the papers/websites are shot – and the potential risks faced whilst shooting them.

    Great work during sad times.

    Posted by Ian Forsyth
  19. Brilliant work Leon, between you and the other photographers you’ve mentioned you have captured what can only be described as chaos.

    It must have been scary and you guys do this to show the world the truth. I am always inspired by you mate.

    Hope you, kirsten and Max are keeping safe.

    Posted by Timm Cleasby
  20. Well done on a stunning set, and account of horrible days in the UK. I knew you were out there, as after the first night your pics where all of al jazeera here in doha, so glad you stayed safe.

    Posted by Arend K
  21. Fantastic, but truly frightening images… Fuond the one with a boy on a bicycle, behind the burnt out car in my local paper Aftenposten (Norway)

    Posted by Sjur StΓΈlen
  22. Leon
    Superb set of shots and description of the events
    Unreal the your family should have to worry about you covering such stories in the UK
    Hoping you never have to cover such events again

    Posted by A Markfell
  23. Well you made it into Life magazines’s coverage of the riots too. Check the Life iPad app.

    Posted by Andy
  24. good pictures considering under the circumstances you took them, I will be honest with you I had thought that sooner rather than later, the country was at boiling point, and you can only keep the lid on a boiling pot for so long. Iam a Mum and Grandma, and could see that with the lack of disipline and the clowns that are running this country have not got the foggiest idea,how people are having to live, they would not last a week in some of the situations, that people live in.Let us just hope that it does not happen again and that the police get the credit for what they did. Turn water cannons on them, it is used in Europe.

    Posted by isabella ward
  25. Great stuff Leon. Keep safe.

    Posted by Chris Saunders
  26. The whole set are really powerful – I love the insight you give us that the other journalists and police can’t give us. I also LOVE the fact that you are able to keep a very shrewd eye in such trying circumstances – your shot with the phone box saying “help yourself” – just says it all, and I’m sure that was your intention. Most people wouldn’t have seen that in those pressured circumstances. That’s why you do what you do, and I’m just a hobbyist.

    Posted by Cath
  27. That’s it, you’re not allowed out the house anymore, except to shoot badminton πŸ˜‰

    Posted by kirsten
  28. Great blog mate. Just glad it’s all over. D

    Posted by Dan Kitwood
  29. Inspiring and powerful work.

    Posted by Frankie Jim
  30. I’m so proud of you, Leon. Amazing photos and wonderful writing, as usual. I’m full of admiration for your work (and even fuller of relief that you’re ok bro!) x

    Posted by Beth
  31. Glad to hear you are OK. Awesome pictures and words. Ian

    Posted by Ian Gillett
  32. Thought your photos very good.

    Posted by Damian Of-Alton
  33. Crikey, where to begin? Thanks so much for all of the comments and sharing of this page. It led to a site record of over 6,000 readers in less than 24 hours. I was in shock! Anyway, on with answering your questions…

    @Andy – Thanks mate. It was a little hairy at times, as you’ve read!

    @Adam Johnson – That’s very kind of you but my self-preservation techniques are well tested. Others took greater risks than me with some of them suffering for their risk-taking.

    @Ben – Thanks. Regarding wiring, it depended on the day. When it was clearly very hectic, I wired when I got back to my car (and had driven a few miles from the hotzone!). When I had chance to take my gear in to the riot zone, it was down to quick edits in shop doorways behind police lines. Towards the end, I started taking my WT-4 transmitter in but would always be out of the area before I needed to wire. As for awards, I think you should start your own, just so I have a chance! πŸ˜‰

    @Lee Allen – yeah yeah… πŸ˜‰ Cheers bud.

    @James – Thanks very much for leaving your message. It’s great to know that I managed to see the events with a sympathetic eye. It’s always important to remember that there’s more to major events than the flashes and bangs. That’s why my favourite picture from the whole thing is probably the woman fleeing the riot with two young children. Thankfully, the media at large has covered this angle and focused on those who lost their homes and businesses.

    @Chris – Pete was in the thick of it with a little Canon G11 and got some cracking frames. Thankfully, as I wrote in the post, the police in the UK are pretty much unanimously supportive of the press in these environments so will allow us to move reasonably freely unless the danger is too great.

    @Craig Shepheard – It’s always a pleasure when people notice the detail in a picture. Cheers!

    @Alex – Yeah, it was a truly baffling few days. Just sheer greed at a base level.

    @Debbie – Thanks for your comments, m’dears! Glad you like the humour too. I always try to find something in every job I shoot. :)

    @David – Aside from the issue of rights, as a photographer on the front line, I’m quite glad that they don’t shoot people with live ammo! In these times of total confusion and violence, I think there would have been many members of the media injured or killed if so. It should also always be remembered that if you carry guns, so will your opponents. Not a nice game to enter…

    @Catherine – Seeing how the emergency services were rushing into these scenes of chaos was incredibly inspiring. With rocks being thrown and no-one knowing how it was going to go, the medical and fire teams were still at the front line.

    @Funmi & Adrian Omotade-Tan – Thanks for your concern. I’m quite glad that I got through it in one piece myself! :)

    @Cali – Cheers for keeping an eye out and cheers for your support.

    @Paul K – Hey, it’s called streamlining, particularly since I’ve started wet-shaving it all off! :) Very wise words on the link too.

    @Elaine S – Thanks Elaine. The Sony fire is a whole different aspect of the story as the building wasn’t just for Sony stock but also was used by many independent record labels to store their stocks. With it all gone, these small companies are now facing an uncertain future. Yet more victims of the riots.

    @Ian Forsyth – Cheers bud. Much appreciated.

    @Timm Cleasby – Cheers mate. It was quite a shock to cover something like this on my doorstep. Max and the Mrs are both well thanks. Kirsten’s particularly pleased that it’s over and I’m safely at home every night!

    @Arend K – Thanks Arend. Good to know the shots had success out East. I know they did well in Canada and the US too. I’m happy all round! :)

    @Sjur Stolen – Thanks. It was incredible to see the “blitz mentality” coming out so quickly among the residents of London as they got on with daily life.

    @A Markfell – Yes, it was incredible that it was all so close to home, literally. I was only having to drive a couple of miles each evening to the start of the riot areas.

    @Andy – If only I had an ipad. Anyone care to donate one to me in exchange for keeping you photographically entertained? :) Cheers for the heads-up on the pic.

    @Isabella Ward – Thankfully, this kind of event is a once in a generation type thing or at least we all hope so. It raises many questions on how to deal with it in future. As the above comment called for the use of live ammunition, people like me would be in the crossfire which doesn’t particularly appeal!

    @Chris Saunders – Cheers mate. I’ll do my best!

    @Cath – As I said above, I always try to see something else within a scene so thanks for taking notice.

    @Kirsten – Ahhh… Please? I’m getting a stab vest soon too! πŸ˜‰

    @Dan Kitwood – Me too. While there’s no denying it made good pictures, I’m not sure how much more I could have taken before I crumbled a bit! Your blog looks great too. Nice video captures. http://www.dankitwood.com/2011/08/10/riots/

    @Frankie Jim – Thanks boss! Always good to hear positive sounds from an industry type!

    @Beth – Cheers, sis! As you can see from the latest blog on badminton, I’m all safe now (aside from the odd errant shuttlecock…)

    @Ian Gillett – Thanks bud.

    @Damian of-Alton – Thanks Damian.

    @Anna – Thanks Anna. Let’s just hope it was a horrible blip for our country.

    Posted by tabascokid
  34. I havent read all the comments to the Blog Leon and I suspect I may be repetaing some, but superb set of images and the background behind getting them fascinating. What was your ‘strip down’ kit for hte forst night, the D3 and two lenses you mention later. Would you ever use a small compact in these situations?

    Posted by Steve/smiles
  35. Cheers Steve. On the first night, I was using a Nikon D3s with a 50mm f1.4 lens which actually proved to be a little tight but I got through alright with some foot-based zooming… πŸ˜‰

    As for the compacts, it certainly is something that I would have used more if I had one that I was happy with. I used my GF1 on one of the nights but it would have been good to have a zoom. I’m currently looking into my options and have spoken to a magazine about working with them to review a few. Watch this space…

    Posted by tabascokid
  36. Still working my way across the volume of your work Leon .
    What I get from this is just how switched on your brain must be in difficult situations .
    I was in rainy Cornwall during all of this having a holiday not long after doing some of the London Prepares events where everything seemed so nice and quiet that when this happened I don’t think I realised the scale of what went down .
    Despite the severity of the situation you have managed to see and get great composition of posters within a shot that are just genius to my eye .
    Even your untitled top of the page shot says ” all bets off ” to me .
    As to you driving around , I just shiver at that prospect as I’ve seen how easy it is for a group of people to box in a vehicle and most drivers do not want to harm anyone even though harm may come to them .
    Scary stuff indeed !

    Posted by Ray Fothergill
  37. Thanks for posting these pictures, really great shots. Keep up the good work.

    Posted by Erik Torres

Leave a Comment